Well, a week came and went and the show aired without the segment on me potting. Perhaps my days in the limelight are meant to come later in life.
Lately, I have been very buzzed about a new experimental form I have been working on. I'm tyring to expand beyond my comfort zone of functional ware, attempting to create some forms which aren't as ordinary as my functional work. Part of me wonders if this search is in vain and that perhaps what I actually need to do is find a more interesting decoration/glaze/style for my work rather than attempt to create whole new forms. Maybe branching into non-functional is a way to avoid the inevitable shake up of my functional work that I really think needs to happen in order to step my work to a more identifiable and improved level. I'm worried that I'll go through all the trouble of creating new forms and be faced with the same problem I have now - how to glaze the darn thing.
So, I've decided to explore both issues: develop the non-functional and sort out the decor in general. Have loads of sample clays to work through this weekend making shrinkage tests and thrown samples to fire. I've decided after much deliberation I would go ahead and buy some stains for slip coloration. After years of doing all of my own glaze development it just dawned on me one day that I didn't need to be breaking my break to create an "original" glaze. It would be nice, but just because the color isn't derived from more "authentic" oxides and a good working knowledge of glaze chemistry doesn't mean the finished product will have to suffer. Plus, frankly, I need some more time to develop ideas in clay rather than spend it with further glaze chem.
On that note, I'm off to test and experiment!
Not the Nanny
1 month ago